Summer Camp 2020 - Update April 24, 2020

Birch Bay Ranch – Summer Camp 2020
Updated April 24, 2020
Click here for the May 29, 2020 update

“Our God can do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine” Ephesians 3:20

Safety is our number one concern at Birch Bay Ranch and this includes the health and well-being of our campers, guests and staff. With the concerns attached to the COVID-19 virus we are ensuring our procedures comply with advice from our local and provincial health authorities.

At this time BBR’s offices are closed and our staff have been laid off. We are endeavouring to answer emails and phone messages one day per week.

Regarding Summer Camp Programs

We are closely monitoring the COVID-19 guidelines and we are keeping updated on information as it affects summer camps in Alberta. With the situation changing rapidly, we are unable to predict when or if we will be re-opening for summer camp. At this time we are continuing to plan and prepare for summer programs to happen in some capacity. We plan to make a decision about summer camp programs on May 29, 2020.

Despite the circumstances, we know we serve a God who works miracles!

We are aware that many are experiencing very real financial concerns at this time. This applies to the families of our campers as well as to the future of Birch Bay Ranch. With both of those realities in mind, if we are unable to run summer camp programs, we will offer our camper families a number of options regarding their summer camp fees.

Option 1 – The entire summer camp fee can be donated to BBR for a tax receipt. BBR is incredibly thankful to those who are able to choose this option.

Option 2 – A portion of the summer camp fee can be donated to BBR for a tax receipt and the balance of the fees will be refunded. Families can determine the amount of donation. Again, BBR is incredibly thankful for any support.

Option 3 – The summer camp fee less an administration fee of $25 will be refunded (this includes refunding the deposit).

 *These options will become available after the May 29, 2020 decision by BBR. In an email after May 29, you will be asked to pick your option.

**At this time our cancellation policy for summer campers remains the same (the $100.00 deposit is non-refundable).


We are committed to doing our part to avoid the spread of this virus. We pray for health and safety for our community, our province and our country.



After the May 29 decision, how do we cancel and choose the option we want?
At the beginning of June, we will send an email with the cancellation options (including any new ones if applicable) to each camper family. The email will include specific directions on how to proceed. Refunds will be issued during the first two weeks of June.

Why is there an administration fee? Why not a full refund?
Our decision comes because the majority of our registrations were made by credit card. For each registration and then again for each refund, we are charged a fee from the credit card companies. Birch Bay Ranch is a not-for-profit, independent camp and we do not have any financial backing other than what we receive from camp revenue, field trips and donors. Unfortunately at this time we are not in the financial position to cover the additional incurred costs for registration. 

Can we transfer our registration to 2021?
We will not be offering an option to transfer any money to 2021 camps. With things so uncertain this year we do not know how or if BBR will be affected financially or if we will have to adjust our operations next year as well. However, we will be discussing options (and will let you know after May 29) if there will be a way to secure a spot in camp for the summer of 2021.

We had a tough time getting into camp, is there any way to secure our spots for 2021?
Thank you to those who suggested this idea. This is now on our radar and we will be discussing options. We will have an answer for you after May 29.